Why is body lotion important to use on your skin?
“It’s imperative that moisturizers like lotions are applied to the face and body daily,” Lian Mack, MD, a board-certified dermatologist, told the Post. “Using lotions helps to hydrate the skin by locking in moisture and protecting the skin barrier.”
Not to mention, when the skin is dry and dehydrated, it’s more likely to develop inflammatory conditions like eczema, she noted.
What’s the difference between a body lotion and a body serum?
“Body serums tend to contain lighter, water-based (almost gel-like) vehicles with smaller, active molecules that can easily penetrate the skin,” Dr. Mack adds. “Lotions, on the other hand, are designed to hydrate the skin and contain larger molecules that sit on top of the skin and don’t easily penetrate.”
Should body lotion only be used in the winter?
“It’s important to keep skin hydrated all year long though in winter, because of the decrease in humidity, skin tends to get dry more quickly,” Kavita Mariwalla, MD, a double board-certified dermatologist, told the Post.
Plus, Dr. Mack recommends creams during the winter and lotions during the summer, as the former are thicker than lotions.
When and how should body lotions be applied?
Kenneth Mark, MD, a cosmetic dermatology expert, advises “applying any moisturizer immediately after the shower while the skin is still somewhat moist” is ideal.
“Upon exiting the shower, pat yourself dry with a towel and then moisturize,” Dr. Lian Mack, MD adds. “This will lock in the moisture from the shower and more effectively hydrate the skin.”
1. Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Body Lotion
About this item
- 18-fluid ounce pump bottle of Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Body Lotion to moisturize dry skin for a full 24 hours
- Nourishing lotion contains a unique soothing oatmeal formula that absorbs quickly, leaving your skin soft, beautiful and healthy-looking
- Clinically proven and award winning fragrance-free daily lotion for dry skin locks in moisture and improves skin’s health in just one day
- Gentle moisturizing lotion works to help prevent, protect, and nourish dry skin. It replenishes moisture for softer and smoother skin
- Lotion is fragrance-free, non-greasy, non-comedogenic, and gentle enough for daily use as part of a regular beauty and skincare routine From Aveeno, a dermatologist recommended brand for over 65 years
“As far as your no-nonsense moisturizer for skin goes, this one is my favorite with a combination of soothing oat and glycerin to hydrate and nourish,” Dr. Mariwalla shared.
Plus, it’s one we resort to at the drugstore for a baseline lotion that’ll help reverse the effects of rough, patchy skin.
2. Eucerin Advanced Repair Lotion
About this item
- 48 Hour Moisture: This Eucerin fragrance free body lotion repairs very dry skin and fights dryness at its source by providing 48 hour moisture
- Convenient Pump Bottle: Body lotion pump bottle makes storage easy, and makes it simple to pump and apply anytime
- Prevents Dryness: This Eucerin lotion for very dry skin is enriched with Ceramide-3 and Natural Moisturizing Factors to boost moisture and help prevent dryness
- Free Of: Eucerin Advanced Repair lotion is a paraben free body lotion, and is fragrance free, dye free, and is also lightweight, fast-absorbing and non-greasy
- Includes one (1) 16.9 fluid ounce bottle of Eucerin Advanced Repair Unscented Body Lotion
“Similar to Cerave’s Daily Moisturizing Lotion, Eucerin’s Advanced Repair Lotion is enriched with ceramides and protects the skin barrier,” Dr. Mack explained. “It locks in moisture and provides 48 hours of moisture for the skin.”